Friday, February 10, 2012

Fabulous Find - My Antique Bird Cage

One of the many reasons antique shopping is so addicting gratifying is that you find objects you never knew you couldn't live without.  My amazing find from last week is this AWESOME little bird cage.   



Look at the adorable little finches painted on sliding doors at both ends of the cage.  I have never seen a bird cage anything like this.  The cage is small and oval in shape with a wonderful pagoda shaped roof.   The wire has a worn gilt finish.



Aren't these sweet little birds just too cute...


The bottom sliding tray has a faux wood painted finish, and the base has a wonderful soft grey/green color.




Now, I have to find just the right place to display this new treasure.   Since I don't have many empty spaces in our home and I don't like a lot of clutter, that means taking something away to make room for this new find.   




Since I manage to put candles in just about everything, I tried a candle in the bird cage.  The glow of the candle light brings the little hand painted birds to life as you will see if you compare this image with the image below without the candle.






I could display it with a wonderful small plant inside, or......  Wouldn't this be fabulous as it's original purpose - with a live little bird(s)?  I guess I could try some fake little birds as that would take a lot less effort.   Do you have any ideas? 


 I don't know much about bird cages.   I am not sure of it's origin - American?  French?  If anyone can provide me with some information, I would greatly appreciate your expertise.

When I was trying to search the internet to learn about my new find, I came across other decorative bird cages that I thought you might find interesting.
The images below were found on one of my favorite places to window shop (or is it screen shop?), 1stdibs.com


While I love my new bird cage, this one with the fabulous door and dome shape is to die for.








The images below are from North Fork Pets and Antiques.















It is always amazing to see the craftsmanship and creativity of items of yesteryear.   Purchasing these wonderful treasures and making them part of our homes is a favorite pastime for all "Antiqueaholics".  

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've seen bird cages with plants in them...like an ivy. But unless it were an artificial plant (which I personally would not want as I prefer live plants & cut flowers), I wonder how much trouble it would be to remove the plant to water it. I like the way your candle illuminates the little painted birds. Can't wait to see what other ideas you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find your beautiful little birdcage is.
    Just found your blog - off to read more.
    Your newest UK follower
    Di
    YONKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you posting, please retun to blog land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect find...and just what I was looking for, but its not for sale! Darn you Google images!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New to your blog........ Too bad you don't post more often.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,

    I’m the Community Manager with Anagram Interactive, where we specialize in connecting established brands with prominent bloggers. We’re currently working with Paperless Post, a company that designs customizable online and printed stationery, to show that communication can be personal and well-designed regardless of the medium.

    Paperless Post has partnered with several world-famous designers and lifestyle brands, including kate spade new york, Oscar de la Renta, Jonathan Adler, and Rifle Paper Co., and has delivered over 85 million cards to date. Since you have such an engaging and beautifully-designed blog, we’d like to offer you 400 Paperless Post digital Coins (a $40 value) for free to try out our online service and write about your experience.

    We really think you’ll enjoy Paperless Post and can’t wait to hear what you think. Please let me know if this is something you’d be interested in and I’ll show you how to get started.

    Best,
    Ann
    ann@anagraminteractive.com

    ReplyDelete