Monday, November 8, 2010

CREAM COOKBOOK COVERS WITH TYPOGRAPHY - CLEAN & SIMPLE








































This is my desk area in my kitchen.  I like to keep my cookbooks handy, but I didn't like the look of all the various cookbook covers together with all their colors and patterns.  My designer friend, Sara Cullen, suggested I make book covers for them.  I don't know why I hadn't thought of it, but I immediately went to Michaels to look for paper.  Since I have Emma Bridgewater "Toast & Marmalade" dinnerware, I selected Strathmore's Charcoal paper.  It is cream color, a good weight and texture.

I couldn't imagine how I would possibly get the cookbook titles to appear clean and neat as I don't have the best handwriting.  Our daughter, Dawn, (the creative one in our family), suggested I use the computer to select a font and print the title on a binding to adhere to the book cover.   I viewed all of the fonts and decided it would look best to match the type on my Emma Bridgewater and my letter "B" mug from Anthropologie.  http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?navAction=jump&id=78404    I couldn't believe the difference - it was clean, neat and the titles were legible.  I now have the clean, simple look that I was trying to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment