Thursday, April 7, 2011

TEXTURE & COLOR

One of the most exciting aspects of the antique hunt is that you just never know what you will discover.  A few weeks ago, I went to our local flea market and  I was really drawn to a variety of organic textural items that day.   I stopped by a dealer's stall and started making a small pile of items that caught my eye.  It all started with this rich, creamy soft deer skin.

This same dealer had some old antlers that I just couldn't resist.  Well then, he also had a sponge, a shell and a really nice rich dark brown soft leather pouch and a suede draw string pouch.   As I put my pile together, it started to resemble a Ralph Lauren ad.  When I came home and set my pile of purchases on my coffee table, I knew just what it needed for a great snapshot - the fabulous vintage  turquoise pendant I had bought at a flea market a few months ago.



While I love turquoise, I find most jewelry with turquoise too ornate and detailed for my taste.  This piece was striking as the turquoise pendant was approximately 2" x 1 1/2", and was set in a very simple silver frame. I told my husband when I bought it that I was going to give it to our daughter for her birthday. Then, I brought it home, put it on and you can guess what I started thinking.  Hmmmm - my daughter will never know that I bought it for her and I could keep it for myself.  I was really struggling to part with it, although I was also feeling guilty about keeping it.   I decided to call her and tell her I had gotten a gift for her as I knew if I didn't, it might just end up staying in my drawer.  While I usually do not look at vintage or antique jewelry, I was so glad that I found this unusual piece of turquoise to give to our daughter for her birthday.  She will enjoy this pendant for many years to come as it is timeless and classic.



No comments:

Post a Comment